The Gallery invites 10 artists from around the world to make art about ‘The State We’re In’.
The Gallery, Season 1 exhibited 10 powerful artworks on billboards and digital screens across the UK in July – August 2022. It was seen by over 12 million people. Watch the behind-the-scenes film on our YouTube Channel for an insight into the impact of the project.
Applications for Season 2 are now open! In its second season, The Gallery continues with its mission to show contemporary art that addresses critical issues of our time, provoking meaningful debate and public discourse. We’re looking for artists to respond to the theme ‘The State We’re In’. Apply for the Open Call here.
Our world is in flux. The list seems endless: from the effects of climate change, to war, spiralling energy costs and inflation, seismic constitutional change – kings and queens and national identities – to debates around reproductive rights and gender politics. Can art help decode what’s happening in the twenty-first century? Artworks will be displayed for millions to see in public spaces in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in partnership with the Out of Home Industry. This is an opportunity for exposure on a grand scale and to be part of the national debate. Submissions can be proposals for two-dimensional works in any media.
What you get
Commissioned artists receive:
- A fee of £2,000 Support from Creative Director Martin Firrell
- Support from our exhibition Curator Bren O’Callaghan
- An international platform to exhibit their work including through the dedicated website at thegallery.org.uk
- The services of a designer to format the artwork for digital and print if required
- Costs of production, mounting, and leasing of the advertising spaces
- Selected photographic documentation of the artwork displayed outdoors
- Scheduled online meet-ups with fellow contributing artists and team
- Participation in online discussion regarding making art for the public realm
- Invitation to exhibition launch in January 2023
The deadline for submissions is: 23:59 BST, Sunday 16 October 2022
We’re very happy to answer any questions. Get in touch if you need:
- Any help with completing your application
- The information pack in a different format or language
- To apply in a different format
Contact us: +44 20 7650 7611 (Mon–Fri, 10:00–18:00) or TheGallery@artichoke.uk.com
The Gallery is an Artichoke Project conceived in collaboration with Creative Director, Martin Firrell.
In partnership with Clear Channel, JCDecaux, Outsmart, Alight Media, Mass Media, KBH Group, Redbus Media Group and 75media.
Supported by Arts Council Northern Ireland, Colwinston Charitable Trust, The Esmé Mitchell Trust, The Ashley Family Foundation, The Austin & Hope Pilkington Trust, and Idlewild Trust.